About Multichoice Group
The MultiChoice, is a South African company that operates DStv, a major satellite television service in Sub-Saharan Africa and GOtv, a minor service operating in over 9 countries of this area and Showmax service. MultiChoice was formed out of the subscriber-management branch of the M-Net terrestrial pay television company, and broadcasts the full range of M-Net channels on the DStv service. MultiChoice is owned by the media conglomerate of the same name. One of the subsidiaries of MultiChoice is DStv Now, renamed as DStv App, a service that delivers television transmission to mobile devices such as laptops, smart phones and notebooks.
Formerly, MultiChoice had operations in the Scandinavian, Benelux, Italy, Eastern Europe, Greek & Cypriot regions under the Filmnet TV service, Egypt under CNE (Cable Network of Egypt), Middle East under Gulf TV and Arab Radio and Television Network & Thailand under UBC (United Broadcasting Corporation).
In 2020, MultiChoice had a total subscriber base of 20.1 million viewers throughout Africa, and Naspers asserted that MultiChoice was one of the fastest growing pay-TV operators globally.
Multichoice Group Contact Details & Address
- 144 Bram Fischer Drive,
- South Africa
- PO Box 1502, Ransburg, 2125, South Africa
- Switchboard: +27 11 289 3000
- DStv Call Centre: +27 11 289 2222
How to Apply for Jobs Advertised Today by Multichoice Group, Multichoice Group careers
Here are the Multichoice Group Jobs, you can see more of the vacancies advertised by Multichoice Group and how to apply
About the job
Senior Manager: Content Acquisitions and Scheduling – Series
Channel Director: M-Net Channels
Acquisitions and Scheduling
M-Net Content divisions, Showmax, MAL, Myriad, Independent Suppliers, Local Distributors, Studios, Media Operations, DMS, Content Acquisitions (3rd Party Channels), Legal, Finance, Local Content Hub, Marketing, Synergy & all Business Systems.
Location: Johannesburg, Randburg
Purpose of the Position:
To develop and execute the international series content acquisitions and scheduling strategy across M-Net Channels and Showmax (in consultation with Showmax Editorial Team), Add Box Sets & all Catch-up for multiplatform usage. Identify and curate suitable International Series content (including Specials, Documentaries etc.) for acquisition. This includes sourcing content specifically for Showmax, linear channels and all services featuring International Series.
Key Performance Objectives
- Formulate and drive series content acquisitions strategy for linear and connected video platforms.
- Develop and implement competitive consumer centric scheduling strategies that fulfil business objectives in SA and ROA multiplatform, including Showmax (Connected Video Content)
- Manage Series Acquisitions Budget
- Source, Identify, acquire and curate suitable Series programming for all M-Net channels and Showmax (Connected Video Content) that will meet business objectives for multiplatform exploitation.
- Negotiate commercial terms and rights in consultation with Myriad, Legal and Finance, to support the acquisition of Series Content at the best financial rate for Content as per approved budget.
- Facilitate the drafting of license agreements (Independent Suppliers)
- Facilitate the drafting of Rights Management Agreements (Independent suppliers)
- Facilitate the drafting of license agreements briefs for content acquisition teams (Myriad, Legal, Finance teams) on studio output deals.
- Drive compliance with studio output deal terms & all contractual terms and conditions on all agreements.
Content Planning and Scheduling
- Develop and implement Series catch-up strategy in conjunction with VOD team
- Utilise research in order to develop competitive schedules
- Ensure content utility is aligned with terms of various output agreements
- Ensure team optimizes content inventory and minimizes write offs
- Monitor the performance of schedules and make changes where improvements are required
- Brief Marketing on schedules for on-air creative.
- Liaise with Local Content Hub on availability of M-Net Originals for optimum scheduling
- Lead team to implement schedules as per channel strategy
- Maintain current knowledge of competitor schedules, competing programme launches and major competitive initiatives
- Work closely with the Finance team to ensure budget is effectively managed.
- Drive contractual compliance with license conditions and BCCSA regulations and guidelines with team
- Manage the relationship with DMS to optimally monotize all content breaks on all shows across all channels .
Ensure the following:
- Delivery and programme acceptance review of content as per business requirements
- Metadata loaded on systems correctly and timeously
- Schedule lock and release deadlines are met as per SOP
- Catch-up content cleared and processed timeously
- Deliver monthly & year-ahead Content Calendars, identifying content highlights and support Group and M-NET Marketing Campaigns (Mid-, Festive, Last-mile campaigns).
- Manage team members to ensure effective delivery of business unit objectives.
- Develop a high performing team by embedding formal performance development and informal coaching. Encourage frequent knowledge sharing between team members.
- Determine and analyse development needs for the team and ensure that identified training requirements are budgeted for and executed.
- Interview and recruit new members of the team, including determining appropriate compensation levels with input from Human Capital.
- Create effective workforce and recruitment demand plans to ensure that current and future business requirements can be met.
- Review and update the department’s organisation structure and role description on at least an annual basis to ensure that they are fit for purpose and contain all the accountabilities of each team member.
- Approve leave requests for team members and create leave plan to ensure adequate coverage.
- When required, initiate disciplinary processes for team members calling on support from Human Capital when required.
- Resolve grievances raised by team members and escalate only if required.
- Address poor performance of any team member through the formal Performance Improvement programme and ensure that continued poor performance is appropriately dealt with.
- Motivate team members and ensure that their efforts are recognised and celebrated.
- A Post Graduate Degree in Business Management/ Marketing or equivalent or similar (NQF Level 7 qualification)
- A minimum of 8 -10 years of experience in international content acquisitions/programming experience
- Extensive entertainment and broadcasting Industry knowledge and experience
- Extensive series, specials and documentary genres content knowledge
- Deep knowledge of current and future local and international content trends in multiple markets and across all platforms (linear and all VOD services)
- People management experience is an advantage
- Relationship building
- Solid Content Acquisition & negotiations skills
- Deep understanding of rights management (content)
- Facilitate the development of Scheduling strategies
- Risk Management awareness and notify and implement risk aversion strategies with approval (when required)
- Serves as project lead and facilitate the delivery of all aspects with from conception to completion.
- Strategic Thinking
- Persuading and influencing ability
- Exceptional communication skills and stakeholder management ability
- Decision Making
- Holistic Thinking
Useful Links Multichoice Group:
Multichoice Group website – Link
Multichoice Group careers – Link